Tag Archives: PORTRAITS TAGGED ABERDEEN PHOTOGRAPHER
What IS a mini session?
In short, a mini session is essentially an abbreviated standard session. Once you’ve signed up for a time slot, you just show up (a little early) for your session. Then, when it’s your turn, you simply stand in front of the camera and work it. When your 60 minutes is up, the next client steps into the spotlight and you can run off on your merry way. Because mini sessions are shorter (roughly 60 minutes for each client), you pay less money than you would for a standard session. Pretty sweet, huh?
The thing about mini sessions is that a lot of them have themes, usually for holidays or seasons. I also like to take the less thematic route and instead offer a series of spring, summer and fall mini sessions on location or take a montage of head-shots (Instagram, selfie, pulling faces style). I do offer a winter session, but this really is for the brave. Winter is beautiful; it is also very cold!
Obviously, a mini session needs to run smoothly and stay on schedule so that every family gets their 60 minutes. Plus, nobody likes to be stressed out. Here are five easy ways you can make sure your mini session goes off without a hitch!
1. Be on time. And by on time, I mean 10 minutes early! Make sure you have everything ready to go, as well. When you’re ready to step up as soon as it’s your turn it makes a world of difference.
2. Check and read your emails to get the information about your mini session theme. Because there could be props and that sort of thing, I may be giving suggestions for colours or clothing to wear to prevent clashing with the background.
3. Make sure your children are well rested and fed. A kiddo with a full belly and plenty of sleep is one who is happier to be in front of the camera.
4. Dress comfortably. When you (and/or the kids) are in clothes they feel comfortable in, the photos turn out that much better. Try not to wear clothes that constrict or are made from itchy materials. Take it from someone who’s been photographing people for years: your discomfort shows!
5. Get excited! Make a day of planning out what you’ll wear and spend a few extra minutes in front of the mirror pampering yourself. Why not?